Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Never a dull moment

So last night I look out the window and there is a wild-haired, older man walking around our street, seeming to search along the ground.  So far, no problem: we live on a small circle and people sometimes come up to ride bikes or walk dogs or just walk.  But then I notice that the man was carrying something that looked like a gun.  I looked again. 

He was carrying a crossbow.  

I got more nervous when I noticed him scratching his neck with it.  It didn't appear to be loaded, but weapon safety was obviously not a big deal.  I was going to go out to talk with him, but my wife vetoed that idea, saying that a man with a weapon should be spoken to by the police. 

Well, I guess we used a magic word when we told them that there was a man on our street with a crossbow.  Many police arrived (though by then the man was gone).  I guess he was found, admitted to having the crossbow, and explained that he was shooting squirrels and that the bolt went across our fence and into our yard or onto our street.  I still haven't found it.  The man, who is somewhat mentally disabled, was willing to give up the crossbow to the police. No hard feelings, no charges, etc.  I have no problem with anyone eliminating squirrels, either, though maybe a nice have-a-heart trap would be better than firing crossbow bolts through the fence. Never a dull moment around here. 

...a flippin' crossbow...

5 comments:

theswain said...

To steal a blog title: the Modern Medieval? Practically speaking, I wouldn't think a cross bow, even a modern one, the best thing for squirrel population control. If one wishes to eschew modern firearms, poisons, and the like, a small bow would give better control and be more effective.......but anyway....(P. S. don't ask how I know that).

Gail said...

A number of years ago, one of my son's friends -- in MIDDLE SCHOOL -- was arrested for skateboarding with a loaded crossbow. I did not particularly approve of this relationship . . .

Anonymous said...

A crossbow you say? Well, not as bad as a broadsword huh?

Another Damned Medievalist said...

"What did I tell you about Mister Safety Catch?" said Vimes weakly.
"When Mister Safety Catch Is Not On, Mister Crossbow Is Not Your Friend," recited Detritus, saluting.

mark leblanc said...

... a student comes into my office, staring at the ice fishing trap hanging on the wall (next to my gramp's fly rod, but i digress);

i asked, 'do you know what that is?'

he replies, 'a cross bow?'

i answered (or sighed and then answered), 'have you been hanging out in Drout's neighborhood lately?'