Monday, March 08, 2004

The crapulence of academics
will continue to amaze me no matter how long I am part of this profession. If professors wonder "why do they hate us?" (and many do), they need only look at how they treat their colleagues, students, and anyone who disagrees with them. Just in the past few days I've seen such examples of the complete lack of even rudimentary courtesy and respect that I am once again embarrassed to be part of the profession.

Game theory says that these sorts of things should be responsed to, in "tit for tat" mode, but doesn't that (probably necessary policing), just end up dragging down the discourse still further? When does turning the other cheek, or counselling someone to do so (this is what I'm really worried about; I can take care of myself, but I don't want to give bad advice), just enable the jerks?

No comments: